The Castles of Ludwig II in Bavaria, Germany
Ludwig II was King of Bavaria from 1864 until 1886. Ludwig is best known as an eccentric whose legacy is intertwined with the history of art and architecture. In 1868, Ludwig commissioned the first drawings for two of his buildings. The first was Schloss Neuschwanstein, a dramatic Romanesque fortress with soaring fairy-tale towers. The second was Herrenchiemsee, on the Herren Island in the middle of Lake Chiemsee, is a replica of the palace at Versailles, and was built as a monument to Ludwig's admiration for Louis XIV. In 1878, construction was completed on Ludwig's Schloss Linderhof, an ornate palace in neo-French Rococo style, with handsome formal gardens.